Skip to main content

How to make Chinese bun

Chinese bun - Mantou (馒头) is my husband's favorite. I used to buy frozen one but my daycare teacher told me it is tastier to make it at home.

Ingredients:
  • All purpose flour 300g
  • Dry yeast 6g
  • Baking powder 6g
  • Sugar 30g
  • Salt 1g
  • Water (warm) 160cc
  • Oil (I use coconut oil) 15ml
Step 1 - Mix all the ingredients. I usually place sugar and dry yeast side by side and pour water towards sugar. Then, I will add the flour and the rest of the ingredients. Since I'm lazy, I usually let my bread machine do the kneading work.









Step 2 -  Wait until it rises to double. Once done, roll it to a rectangle sheet and roll it back.









Step 3 - Cut the edge first, then cut it into 8 pieces. 









Step 4 - Place it into a steamer. Boil the steamer for 1 minutes and close it. Let it rise for the second time (about 30 minutes).









Step 5 - Steam it in high heat for 15 minutes. Don't open the lid immediately afterwards. Let it cool down otherwise it becomes wrinkly like below! When you eat, you can cut in half and add mayonnaise and pork son. My kids love those.









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Sweet Green Bean Soup in TaTong pot

Chinese green bean soup is my favorite sweet soup. It is refreshing either eat it in cold or warm. We usually eat this in summer time as it "cools" you down. Ingredients: Green beans 1 cup Water 9 cups White sugars 3~4 Tbsp Step 1: Wash the green beans and add water Step 2: Add 1.5 cups of water in outer pot (about 40 min). Once done, steam it for 20 minutes. Then, add sugars.

How to make Dorayaki

Have you had a Japanese traditional sweets Dorayaki ? People from western Japan call it Mikasa as well. I usually add red bean paste and mochi inside Dorayaki. This is my kids' favorite. I will introduce you how to make your own red bean paste / mochi in another time. Ingredients for Dorayaki shell  (Makes about 8) Egg 3 Cane sugar 150g Honey 1 tbsp Mirin 1 tbsp Baking powder 1tsp + Water 50cc ... (A) Cake flour 180g Water 50cc ... (B) Step 1 - Prepare all the ingredients Step 2 - Whip egg and sugar until it falls like a ribbon shape and the trace disappears Step 3 - Add below into the mix in the order Add honey and Mirin and mix Add solution A and mix Step 4 - Add the cake flour using spatula. When you mix. mix it like by cutting Step 5 - Refrigerate it for 30 minutes Step 6 - Take it out from the refrigerator. Add water (B) and mix it well. Step 7 - Fry it in non-stick pan in low heat. I usually use ladle and drop the mix from a hig...

Homemade Croissant

My kids love croissant. French croissant is very buttery and flaky. I love them too. However, the good ones will cost me several bucks per croissant if I buy it from a French bakery in the U.S. Last year, I decided to make them myself. I tried many recipes. This one is not as complicated and it tastes good. Warning - it is tasty but it doesn't taste like the ones from the bakery. Kitchenware you will need : Baking pan Parchment sheet Plastic wrap Rolling pin Ingredients you will need : Bread flour 300 g Sugar 30 g Salt 4 g Dry active yeast 7 g Egg (beaten) 1 Milk (warm) 150 ml Butter (chop into small cubic pieces) 30 g Butter for filling 1 stick or 115 g Step 1: Add ingredients #1 to #7 into a bowl. Put #8 (a stick of butter) between two plastic wrap.  Tip : Put sugar and yeast side by side and add milk (pour it on sugar side). Then, add bread flour, salt, egg and butter. Step 2: Mix the ingredients in the bowl by hand (about few minutes). Cover the bowl ...